Korean J Obstet Gynecol Search

CLOSE


Korean Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 1999;42(10):2248-2254.
Published online January 1, 2001.
A Comparison of Efficacy and Safety of Magnesium sulfate and Ritodrine Hydrochloride in the Management of Preterm Labor.
Hoo Chul Park, Joong Seo Wang, Eun Ju Choi, Ji Young Jeong, Dong Gyu Lee, Jeong Seok Park, Sang Dae Kang
Abstract
OBJECTIVES
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of magnesium sulfate and ritodrine hydrochloride in the management of preterm labor. METHODS: This study was undertaken to assess the clinical efficacy & safety of magnesium sulfate and ritodrine hydrochloride on 120 patients admitted with preterm labor from Jul. 1, 1996 to Dec. 31, 1998. RESULTS: 1. The incidence of preterm labor was showed 6.0~7.7% of total number of delivery. 2. The risk factors of the preterm labor were premature rupture of membrane, severe preeclampsia, previous preterm delivery, twin pregnancy, placenta previa, fetal anomaly, incompetent cervix, placental abruption, and uterine myoma in order, but 28.6% of preterm labor had no apparent risk factors. 3. The days gained in uterus was not statistically different between the magnesium sulfate group and the ritodrine group (p<0.05) but longer in the two groups than the control group. And the delivery time was also not statistically different between the magnesium sulfate group and the ritodrine group (p<0.01) but significantly increased in the two groups than the control group. 4. The rate of complete and incomplete success was similar as 12.5% and 35% (total success rate 47.5%) in the magnesium sulfate group, 7.5% and 45% (total success rate 52.5%) in the ritodrine group but only 2.5% and 27.5% (total success rate 30%) was showed in the control group. 5. The side effects were much more in the ritodrine group than the magnesium sulfate group. The patients requiring second-line therapy were similar in the both groups but the main cause was uncontrolled uterine contraction in the magnesium sulfate group, and intolerable side effects in the ritodrine group. 6. The pulse rate was not statistically different in magnesium sulfate group but markedly increased in ritodrine group (p<0.05). After managements of preterm labor, the serum potassium and ionized calcium level was significantly decreased in the two groups (p<0.05, p<0.01). CONCLUSION: There was not significantly different efficacy and safety of magnesium sulfate and ritodrine hydrochloride in the management of preterm labor.
Key Words: Preterm labor, Magnesium sulfate, Ritodrine hydrochloride


ABOUT
ARTICLE & TOPICS
Article category

Browse all articles >

Topics

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
POLICY
FOR CONTRIBUTORS
Editorial Office
4th Floor, 36 Gangnam-daero 132-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06044, Korea
Tel: +82-2-3445-2382    Fax: +82-2-3445-2440    E-mail: journal@ogscience.org                

Copyright © 2022 by Korean Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next